Re: FPWD Review Request: HTML+RDFa

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2009, at 15:06, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>
>> Treating xmlns as any other attribute seems like a violation of the
>> architecture of Namespaces in XML to me. I.e. a layering violation.
>

> Indeed, namespace declarations in XML don't appear in the [attributes]
> property of an element information item in the Infoset. They appear in
> the [namespace attributes] property and also affect the [in-scope
> namespaces] property.
>
> See http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-infoset/#infoitem.element
>
> It's highly unusual at the W3C to layer a spec (other than Namespaces
> itself of course) directly on top of XML 1.0 instead of layering it on
> top of XML + Namespaces (or the Infoset).

Well...  The specification under review doesn't say ANYTHING about
layering.  What Mark (and others) have pointed out is that there are a
couple of ways to implement this.  If you want to implement an RDFa
processor such that it is truly namespace aware, discovering the
namespace prefix mappings via [in-scope namespaces] property... you are
certainly free to do so.  I have yet to find a DOM implementation I can
get to in Perl that makes this easy to do (my RDFa processor is written
in Perl).  So, in my implementation, I have violated the namespace
layer.  However, the RDFa specification doesn't say I have to.  Its just
a technique that someone could use.  And many of us have.  And it works.