Re: Working together on HTML5 (Re: RDFa in HTML 5)

Manu Sporny wrote:

[snipped much goodness]

> - I believe that the RDFa TF and community would really like to work
> with Shelley and Philip to create -something- that unifies the RDFa
> processing rules across all HTML family languages.

There appears to be a perception that HTML4 and HTML5 are separate
languages.  HTML4 is documented in a way that permits considerable
variation in interpretation, specifically a number of variations that
will affect the tuples that are produced by interpreting a document via
RDFa.  I'm confident that Philip can produce a number of such test cases
quickly.

HTML5 introduces some new features (and removes a few others), but more
relevant to the topic at hand captures the consensus interpretation
between browser vendors on how to map a stream of bytes into a DOM.
That consensus covers DOCTYPES that may differ from the one that HTML5
recommends.

Given that some of the RDFa implementations will be in Javascript and
based on the DOM that browsers produce, it is important to be consistent
with this.  Doing so in no way means that the algorithm is HTML5 specific.

I said more on the subject here:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009May/0155.html

[snipped more goodness]

- Sam Ruby