Re: full URIs where a CURIE expected?

Dan Brickley wrote:
> Here's the main markup. The question is whether the 'Bob' section is wrong.

>    <ul>
>       <li typeof="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person">
>         <a property="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name"
> rel="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/homepage"
> href="http://example.com/bob/">Bob</a>
>       </li>

I believe the 'Bob' section is wrong because, per the spec, you can only
put a CURIE in @typeof and @property. @rel also must be either a
reserved word or a CURIE:

http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/#col_Metainformation

@datatype is also a CURIE-only attribute.

> What's up? If there's a way of squeezing thru the interpretation that
> full URIs are acceptable, this could help with identifying a subset that
> works easily in HTML5.

You could do a pretty nasty hack and do this on the containing DIV:

        xmlns:http="http:">

...which would generate the triples that you wanted on that page - but
yick, I feel dirty just mentioning that as a possibility.

I think the real solution to the HTML5 prefix-declaration dilemma is to
introduce @prefix instead of @xmlns: as an alternative method of prefix
declaration. My understanding is that the HTML5 folks have an issue with
attribute names containing colons, but no issue with attribute contents
containing colons. So, this:

xmlns:foaf="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"

could also be declared something like this in non-XML family languages:

prefix="foaf=http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"

Do you think that would address the issue, or am I mis-reading something?

-- manu

--
Manu Sporny
President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.