Re: RDFa, multiple languages, multiple documents, one subject

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Steven Pemberton
<steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:21:42 +0200, Sergey Chernyshev <rdfa.info@
> antispam.sergeychernyshev.com> wrote:
>
>  Great! I didn't know that. I wonder if RDFa clients are interpreting it
>> appropriately?
>>

> What could they do wrong?

They can ignore it ;)

I made the change, but official RDFa parser didn't pick up this official
syntax:
http://www.w3.org/2007/08/pyRdfa/extract?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sergeychernyshev.com%2Fprofile%2F%3F

I'll leave both for now - maybe I'll try having HTML links in the head as
<link rel="alternative" lang="ru" href="./?lang=ru"/> instead of <a> tags in
the body.

> to have have both rel="alternative" and rel="rdfs:seeAlso".
>>
> BTW, it's an example when duplication of code is necessary - same links
> need
>
> I was going to suggest using owl:sameas (
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-ref/#sameAs-def) between xhtmlvocab:alternative
> and rdfs:seeAlso but then I see:
>
> "The property rdfs:seeAlso specifies a resource that might provide
> additional information about the subject resource."
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-rdf-schema-20000327/#s2.3.4
>
> I think this is different to a page that supplies the equivalent page in a
> different language. It is not additional information, but the same
> information in a different language. So I think rel="alternative" really is
> the correct relation, and rdfs:seeAlso would be misleading.

Not really - document in another language doesn't mean that it's exactly the
same data - compare the length of these two pages:

   - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework
   - http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework

So I think both "alternative document in another language" and "document
with additional information in another language" are applicable in this
scenario.

In any case making owl:sameas between xhtmlvocab:alternative and
rdfs:seeAlso is not a good thing as it'll merge too much stuff together.

Best wishes,

--
Sergey Chernyshev
http://www.sergeychernyshev.com/