Re: Serving and Validating XHTML+RDFa

The XHTML 2 Working Group is updating the XHTMLMIME document to reflect
current best practices ala the ancient Appendix C to which you refer.
The working group definitely recommends doing the type of content
negotiation you are attempting to do.  You can see all XHTML 2 Working
group documents under development, including a draft that is unapproved
and still needs lots of work at http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Drafts