Re: comment/question on the latest RDFa editor's draft: role attribute

Ivan Herman wrote:
> Shane, Mark
>
> the reference you give is to
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xhtml-role-20071004
>
> whereas the latest version seems to be:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-xhtml-role-20080407
Thanks

> I have a more substantial question/comment, however. The RDFa spec
> refers to 'role' as one of the possible values for @rel/@rev. It then
> says:
>
> [[[
> Indicates the purpose of the resource. For some possible values, see
> [XHTMLROLE] module.
> ]]]
>
> I tried to understand what this means for RDFa. If I use 'role' as a
> @rev/@rel value, this means I would have, as triples
>
> <> xhv:role <SOMEURI> .
>
> The [XHTMLROLE] document describes possible values of the @role when
> no namespace is used, and those are listed in [1]. However, the
> current RDFa spec does not allow the usage of

> (the prefix-less thing is only expanded for @rel/@rev), so the only
> legal usage is

> (or, alternatively any other URI in another namespace...). I am afraid
> this may be a bit misleading for the reader because the text in the
> Role document might mislead him/her...
>
> If this is all true, could we maybe shortcut the text in the RDFa
> document, without referring to the XHTMLROLE document, with, eg:
>
> [[[
> Indicates the purpose of the resource. For some possible values in the
> xhv namespace, see [XHTMLVOCAB] module.
> ]]]
>
> which has an added bonus: we do not have a dependency on the
> advancement of the Role module as a recommendation (I am not sure what
> the timetable is there, with a bit of bad luck we might be suspended
> to go to Rec!)
I am happy to make this simple change.  I do not believe we had a
dependency on the Role document anyway, since it was not a "normative"
reference.  At least it should not have been.  But that's fine.

> I also have a conformance question: is an RDFa implementation supposed
> to check the resources associated to @rel="role"?
What do you mean "check the resources" ?