Re: Telecon Agenda - Thursday 1 May 2008, 1500 UTC

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:35 AM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
> Dan Brickley wrote:
>  > Since we're on the topic, ... could you offer any thoughts on prospects
>  > for making librdfa a simple/easy drop-in for Redland/Raptor users?
>
>  The desire is there on our side - and Dave submitted a set of patches
>  shortly after the last release of librdfa that I integrated.
>
>  It is a very simple process to integrate librdfa into most libraries and
>  applications. Parse speed is about 15ms for a 50KB XHTML document
>  (including parser start-up/shutdown).
>
>  It really shouldn't take long at all...
>

>  > Or ideally (if license can be alligned etc) persuading Dave Beckett
>  > to ship it as part of Raptor?
>
>  The licensing stuff isn't an issue... we can re-license it under
>  whatever Dave Beckett wants to use.

I tried to figure out if librdfa's lgpl3 would work well with raptor's
lgpl2/apache2 and it was too hard; it would probably mean
promoting raptor's license to gpl3/apache2.

So I'd prefer if librdfa was also dual licensed the same as
raptor - lgpl2/apache2 (or any newer version) which means
I can include it with no problem.

>  > I think this could do an awful lot of good for
>  > RDFa adoption, and for the SemWeb in general...
>
>  Same here - I'm certainly willing to do whatever we need to on our end
>  to get librdfa integrated into Redland/Raptor... what needs to be done
>  to make this happen, Dave? :)

The license change mainly.

I'd also convert librdfa to use raptor's SAX2 API which abstracts
above expat & libxml2 so people don't need to link to both - other
parts of raptor need libxml2's features.

Apart from that it should match what raptor's parser API
needs, although I'd have to do that plumbing work too.

What I'd actually do would be to include librdfa inside raptor
statically compiled, or maybe as libraptor-rdfa, so there is
no confusion this is not the regular librdfa build

Dave