Re: Updated Editor's Draft of rdfa-syntax

Hi Ivan,

But just to recap what the problem is, in some browsers we simply
cannot get all of the data. So we had to make a decision as to whether
to insist that all whitespace is preserved, thus condemning
browser-based RDFa parsers to be non-conformant, or to define things
based on the lowest common denominator--normalised whitespace. We
chose the latter approach, and there is no way to axctually know what
spaces were there in the first place...unfortunately.

So unless someone can find a cunning way to get the original mark-up
in browsers that normalise the whitespace, I think we're stuck.

(I have to say though, just looking at this quickly I'm not seeing the
removal of any whitespace in my tests...I'll look into this a bit
more, but can anyone remember which browsers were giving us a
problem?)

On 27/09/2007, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> Ivan Herman wrote:
> > _However_: I wonder whether this is the right thing to do for XML
> > Literals. I still think that copying the XML literal verbatim might be
> > the best option...
> >

> Just one argument that came to my mind: what should happen if
>
> - there is a <pre> portion in the HTML code
> - it is put into the RDF graph as an XML Literal
>
> I am not sure it is kosher to re-format that portion... On the other
> hand, I also do not think that RDFa processors should be asked to
> 'parse' the XHTML portion to make this type of decision...
>
> Ivan

> >> working on it...
> >>

> > :-)
> >
> > I.