Re: [RDFa TC] TC 29 and normalizing spaces of the children of an element used as a property value.

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:29:18 -0500
To: Fabien Gandon <Fabien.Gandon@sophia.inria.fr>
CC: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@formsPlayer.com>, "public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf.w3.org" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Fabien Gandon wrote:
> Shane,
>
> I have a question for my culture: the production 8 says
> "Whitespace is defined as in [XML]. On input all whitespace is
> preserved - this is exactly as if the value of xml:space, as defined
> in [XML], is set to "preserve". If the value of that attribute is set
> to "default", that is the same as if it were set to "preserve". On
> rendering, whitespace is processed according to the rules of [CSS2]."
>
> Could someone consider the produced RDF as an output or a 'rendering'
> of XHTML and thus have a dedicated rule for the whitespace processing?
> My question is motivated by the fact that comparing an XHTML rendering
> (applying CSS rules) and Literal values of the corresponding triples,
> developers and user may be surprised by the differences.
Hmm...  I suppose really this should be a question for the XHTML 2
Working Group.  I will ask that it be put on the agenda for their next
meeting (which is, sadly, not today but more likely a week from today).
Since I wrote that production, I am pretty sure I know what we were
thinking at the time.  And no, I do not believe that an RDFa processor
can be thought of as rendering the output.  If it were, all sorts of
other rendering requirements would come into play.

I imagine that the real problem here will be for RDFa processors that
are written using client-side scripting.  Such processors would
necessarily most likely use the DOM to investigate the content.... and
the DOM does NOT preserve the whitespace as far as I know.  Maybe
someone can clarify that for me?

This is a very subtle issue.  Sorry I can't be more help right now.