Re: Why I don't like 'instanceof' (was Re: [RDFa] ISSUE-3: syntactic sugar for rdf:type)

Hello all,

Is 'instanceof' really so bad? It's been said that it is second-best
to the more preferable (but taken) @role, @type and @class attributes,
but I disagree. As a well-known British advert goes: "it does what it
says on the tin", and I think that mark-up that indicates that we have
an 'instance of' a foaf:Person (for example), is actually much closer
to what we want than 'type', 'role' or 'class'.

I also don't believe it is 'RDF-speak', any more than 'class', or
'type', or 'resource'. Of course, for someone versed in RDF these
names will ring bellsand be very clear, but even for someone with no
RDF background, I don't think they are particularly confusing. The
notion of 'instances' of something will be pretty clear to most
authors. And whether we like it or not, I think we do have to accept
that we can't hide some of the basic concepts.

The other objection I've seen is from Steven, that the name comprises
'two words', but with respect that does seem to be a personal
preference, rather than based on some deep problem. It would be great
if it was backed by an argument, otherwise we can't actually debate
it.

On 20/07/07, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> Hausenblas, Michael wrote:
> >> 'type' is an existing attribute in HTML
> >
> > ... that's why my mother always says: Think before you speak/write ;)
> >
> > But, still, IMHO the *new* attribute should be something
> > containing 'type'. Now risking Steven will hate me, I propose:
> >
> > 'typeOf'
> >
> > Hope I did not open another Pandora's box ;)
>
> You did:-)
>
> Ivan
>

> > Cheers,
> >       Michael

> >  Michael Hausenblas, MSc.
> >  Institute of Information Systems & Information Management
> >  JOANNEUM RESEARCH Forschungsgesellschaft mbH
> >
> >  http://www.joanneum.at/iis/

  Mark Birbeck, formsPlayer

  mark.birbeck@x-port.net | +44 (0) 20 7689 9232

  standards. innovation.