Re: [RDFa] ISSUE-3 @class and @role for rdf:type

Hi Ivan,

On 05/07/07, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
> Then one more clarification, if I may ask: what is the potential
> conflict with WAI Steven is referring to?

I think it's that if we were to say that @role == rdf:type, then we
would force that interpretation onto anyone that uses RDFa. it would
mean that the ARIA work from WAI for example, which builds upon @role,
would need to either adopt the same meaning as us, or avoid using RDFa
in their work (which would be a shame).

My argument has always been that something 'playing the role of x', is
not the same as 'something being x', and so @role should not represent
rdf:type. But that is where we are at now, anyway; the @role spec
itself doesn't say that @role == rdf:type, the ARIA schemas no longer
say that @role == rdf:type, and now, we also no longer say it in RDFa.

So I would suggest that there won't be any *future* conflicts,
provided that we don't go adding a meaning for @role that is out of
sync with the situation as it stands now.

Which means that the only thing we can safely add in the future is the
statement that @role == xh:role, which *is* defined in the @role
specification, and is also present in the ARIA work.

But like I said, I don't see any reason why that work can't wait until
a future release of RDFa, if people think we have enough to be getting
on with now.

  Mark Birbeck, formsPlayer

  mark.birbeck@x-port.net | +44 (0) 20 7689 9232

  standards. innovation.