Re: [ALL] RDF/A Primer Version

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:39:59 +0000
To: Gary Ng <Gary.Ng@cerebra.com>
CC: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>, Ben Adida <ben@mit.edu>, SWBPD list <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>, public-rdf-in-xhtml task force <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Gary Ng wrote:
> There must be situations where the href="..." is only logical and is not
> deferenceable, or in another situations where the author really intend to
 > just assert that resource reference as a piece of metadata and has no
 > intension for anyone to dereference?
>
> For example,
>
> A. Don't want to dereference for metadata:
>    foaf:mbox     = "mailto:jo.lambda@example.org"
>
> B. Those to dereference for more metadata (e.g in the Department members page)
 >    to build up a contact list:
>    <a rel="foaf:member" href="http://jo-lamda.blogspot.com/">Jo Lamda</a>
>
> C. Those to dereference but there is going to be nothing there so we need to
> add metadata locally. In this case it seems like the approach is to use
 > additional elements with about="..." to specify.

My understanding is that when loading an RDF graph from a document,
however it is serialized, there is always the issue of whether you want
to dereference the resources referred to, in order to get more triples.
Common practice is not to; but cwm, for instance, supports a mode where
you do read everything, recursively ...

It is clear that if the scheme does not support a GET operation then you
cannot, so A. unambiguously cannot be dereferenced. For case B, one
could do a GET, with appropriate accept-headers, and if what comes back
is RDF (in any form, RDF/XML, N3, RDF/A ...) then you could read it as
more metadata. There is no consensus about the status of the
relationship between the propositional attitudes expressed in the two
documents loaded.

So I don't see this as an RDF/A issue, but a much wider semantic web issue.

Jeremy