Re: Plain literals and xsd:string

Some good news:

http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/query-1.1/rq25.xml#func-concat

Because we decided CONCAT tends to produce simple literals, not
xsd:string on mixed simple/xsd:string combinations, we are

But should

concat("foo"^^xsd:string, "bar"^^xsd:string) ->
   "foobar"^^xsd:string (current defn)
or
   "foobar"

What about

BIND("foo"^^xsd:string AS ?x)

On 20/04/11 09:47, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 19/04/11 23:17, Steve Harris wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The RDF WG intends to recommend that xsd:strings be silently
>> converted to RDF plain literals internally. See Resolution 1 in
>> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/meeting/2011-04-13.
>>
>> This would have some impact on SPARQL deployments, as we go to some
>> lengths in a few places to preserve the differences. I'm not sure it
>> should necessarily affect the wording of any of the SPARQL texts, but
>> it's probably worth bearing in mind. It could be that we can simplify
>> some wording, but we should take care not to become dependent on a
>> new RDF rec. for publication.
>>
>> - Steve
>>

> What should update do?
>
> INSERT DATA { :s :p "foo"^^xsd:string }
>

> It affects query. BGP matching is simple entailment.
> The wording must change there surely?
>
> Either that or
>
> SELECT * { ?s ?p "foo"^^xsd:string }
>
> will stop matching on data now converted to "foo" without a software
> change to the query engine.
>
> Existing databases + new software will see a change.
>
> In my experience, it is OWL tools that will be affected as they like to
> use xsd:string in RDF for ontologies.
>
> Andy

Some good news:

http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/query-1.1/rq25.xml#func-concat

Because we decided CONCAT tends to produce simple literals, not
xsd:string on mixed simple/xsd:string combinations, we are

The RDF-WG resolution says:

"""
Recommend that systems silently convert xs:string data to plain literals.
"""

So should

concat("foo"^^xsd:string, "bar"^^xsd:string) ->
   "foobar"^^xsd:string (current defn)
or
   "foobar"

What about

BIND("foo"^^xsd:string AS ?x)

Less good news:

I hacked up a version of ARQ that parses xsd:strings to simple literals
in data and SPARQL queries and got test failures in the SPARQL 1.0 test
suite (as well as failures in ARQ's test suite).

The 3 failures are all data related, 2 in the DISTINCT tests and 1 in
the REDUCED tests.