Re: Another thing on property paths...

On 17 Dec 2010, at 13:23, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 17/12/10 12:14, Axel Polleres wrote:
> > On 17 Dec 2010, at 10:54, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> >> What changes to
> >>
> >> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/query-1.1/rq25.xml#defn_evalZeroPath
> >>
> >> are you proposing?
> >
> > Do I understand correctly, that the current definition does exactly what I propose? :-)
>
> I am asking you what changes would be necessary.

> We need to work in a mode where all comments/issues are related to the
> document.  The starting point is the text that is currently there.

I surely agree, let me try again...

1)
I wrote what I proposed to change immediately after that line in my mail.
For your convenience, let me try here again slightly reformulated:

I am *not* talking about the definition
 http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/query-1.1/rq25.xml#defn_evalZeroPath
which seems to do exactly what I fined intuitive, I am actually talking
about the definition in in Section 18.1.6.:
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/query-1.1/rq25.xml#sparqlPropertyPaths

"
Definition: ZeroLengthPath

A zero length path matches all subjects and all objects in the graph,
           and also any IRIs explictly given as endpoints of the path pattern.
"
This sounded to me like Cartesian product as opposed to the formal algebra definition you cite.
Can I suggest to reformulate this as:

"
Definition: ZeroLengthPath

A zero length path matches all subjects, objects in the graph, and also any IRIs explictly given as endpoints of the path pattern,
to themselves."

2)
I *do* have some open question with regards to
  http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/query-1.1/rq25.xml#defn_evalZeroPath
regarding nodes(G).

 Since I didn't find a definition of nodes(G), do you imply only the terms used as subjects/objects in G there or also the terms used as predicates?

3)
> > BTW, I am not clear why you include IRIs mentioned in SERVICE patterns, what about IRIs explicitly mentioned in GRAPH
> > patterns then? Shouldn't there at least be aremark about why those aren't matched
>
> Where?
>
> "endpoint of the path" seems clear enough to me.  Nothing to do with
> SERVICE.

well, admittedly, it wasn't, i.e. isn't "and also any IRIs explictly given as endpoints of the path pattern." just redundant then with
"all subjects and all objects in the graph" ?!?

Axel