Re: Changes to Query 1.1 doc

On 29 Nov 2010, at 21:40, Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com> wrote:

> On 29/11/10 16:23, Steve Harris wrote:
>> Editorial
>
>> * Allow GROUP_CONCAT to work on values other than xsd:string
>
> This is more than editorial :-).
>
> GROUP_CONCAT({<http://example/>,2,3}) is now "http://example/23" whereas previously it was an error.

That's still an error, xsd:string(<uri>) is an error, isn't it?

You're right that it's a substantive change though, I misunderstood the definition in f&o, and thought it cast to xsd:string implicitly.

The situation in Sum() is a little different, but it's a good point about the commonality.

> SUM does not cast.  We decided that the mixed types in SPARQL meant it was better to have a non-casting SUM because the application writer can always add SUM(xsd:double(?x)).

Yeah, but the alternative is a precision losing, or error masking cast of some kind. Using the lexical form of e.g. numeric types is pretty obvious however.

I believe GROUP_CONCAT in MySQL implicitly casts to string, but I'm not sure offhand.

> I think we need to be consistent because all it requires is:
>
>  GROUP_CONCAT(xsd:string(?x))
>  GROUP_CONCAT(STR(?x))
>
> An alternative is that GROUP_CONCAT uses CONCAT (including lang tag handling) and we can make it dependent on what we decide for CONCAT.

That's also an option. Would actually need a common parent of some kind - CONCAT is variadic, but Aggregates use sequences.