Re: LET / BIND / Assignment test cases (ISSUE-57)

On 29/09/10 03:45, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
> When last we talked, we decided we wanted to look at the semantics of a
> proposed LET/BIND/Assignment clause before choosing the keyword and
> proceeding with a decision.
>
> Here are a few test cases; I use KW (keyword) below where LET or BIND or
> whatever might go.

> :s :one 1 .
> :s :two 2 .
>

> 1. Simple
>
> SELECT ?sum ?one ?two {
> ?s :one ?one ; :two ?two .
> KW (?sum := ?one + ?two)
> }
>
> Result:
>
> ?sum ?one ?two
> -----------------------
> 3 1 2
>

> 2. Calculated value matches existing binding
>
> SELECT ?one {
> ?s :one ?one .
> KW (?one := 1)
> }
>
> I believe there are two options here from what I've heard
>
> Option 1 ("join semantics") result:

Maybe this is more "FILTER semantics" because of the similarity between:

SELECT ?one {
  ?s :one ?one .
  KW (?one := 1)
}

SELECT ?one {
  ?s :one ?one .
  FILTER (?one = 1)
}

and the discussion of placement and eliminating rows as below.  The
handling of errors in expressions is more FILTER like as is the
expressions form

  KW (?two := ?one+1)

because ?one is in scope.

> ?one
> -----
> 1
>
> Option 2 ("simple semantics") result:
>
> Error, can't assign to / bind a variable that's elsewhere bindable in
> the same scope
>

> 3. Calculated value does not match existing binding
>
> SELECT ?one {
> ?s :one ?one .
> KW (?one := 5)
> }
>
> I believe there are three options here from what I've heard
>
> Option 1 ("join semantics") result:
>
> ?one
> -----
>
> Option 2 ("simple semantics") result:
>
> Error, can't assign to / bind a variable that's elsewhere bindable in
> the same scope
>
> Option 3 ("assignment semantics") result:
>
> ?one
> -----
> 5The only way to tell is

> NOTE: I don't believe _anyone_ is advocating or implements assignment
> semantics like this, but I wanted to include it for completeness.
>

> 4. Logical order of assignment/binding
>
> SELECT ?sum {
> KW (?sum := ?one + 1) .
> :s :one ?one .
> }
>
> Option 1 ("in place") result:
>
> ?sum
> ----
>
> (no result as ?one has no binding and so the expression is an error)
>
> Option 2 ("end of group") result:
>
> ?sum
> ----
> 2
>
> (assignments/binds are treated as with FILTERs, they occur logically
> after a group's solution set has been evaluated)
>

> I believe from the thread at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2010JulSep/0116.html
> that Mulgara implements what I'm calling "simple semantics". Anzo
> (Glitter) implements "join semantics". ARQ implements "simple semantics"
> as well.

ARQ implements filter/join semantics, but "in place" not "end of group"

Because of

SELECT ?one {
    KW (?one := 1 )
    :s :one ?one .
}

SELECT ?one {
    :s :one ?one .
    KW (?one := 1 )
}

have the same results because of the assign-same-value rule.

So the only way to tell the difference is:

SELECT ?sum {
    KW (?two := ?one+1)
    :s :one ?one .
}

which causes an error evaluating (?two := ?one+1) for
unbound-at-the-time ?one.

I'm happy with changing to end-of-group semantics.  It's much the same
as processing filter (algebra) and placement is very similar to filter
placement (optimization).

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2010JulSep/0019.html