Re: limit per resource rethought...

> Personally I would prefer something that returned just one value, with a fixed offset, e.g.
>
> SELECT ?p (SCALAR(1, DESC ?name) AS ?n1) (SCALAR(2, DESC ?name) AS ?n2) (SCALAR(3, DESC ?name) AS ?n3)
> So you get
>
> ?p    ?n1    ?n2    ?n3
> <a>   "foo"  "baz"  "bar"
> <b>   "qux"

*Personally* (= </chair>) , I like

> ?p    ?top
> <a>   "foo"
> <a>   "baz"
> <a>   "bar"
> <b>   "qux"

better (at least that reflects more the intention I had in mind with the original query)

Also, in your approach, for varying 'n' I need to put n times "(SCALAR(1, DESC ?name) AS ?n1)"
which is a lot like my earlier ugly version with OPTIONAL
whereas with

SELECT ?P
      ({ SELECT ?P1 WHERE { ?P :knows ?P1 } ORDER BY ?P1 LIMIT n } AS ?F )
WHERE {?P a :Person}

a la Paul, I'd just have to change 'n' as a parameter of LIMIT in the query. Admittedly,
I find that quite appealing, whereas I am not really sure whether inventing new
aggregates solves this or similar queries adequately. :-|

Just for comparison... this is how that would work in SQL ... assume I have the
knows relation in a table KNOWS(A,B):

SELECT A,B FROM KNOWS k1 WHERE B IN (SELECT B FROM KNOWS k2 WHERE k1.A=k2.A LIMIT n);

Axel