Re: Mutability and graphs [was: Re: page about the term "named graphs"]

On 23/07/2010 10:12 PM, Axel Polleres wrote:
> There is a reason, why I "don't like" the graph store being decoupled from the
> (default) dataset of a SPARQL endpoint: It means that they can be completely
> different a SPARQL endpoint can have an update interface, but the updates have no effect
> whatsoever on the queries I can do on that endpoint. That doesn't make sense to me, respectively,
> if I want to support that, then why not having a different endpoint for update and
> query in first place. I think coupling the default data set and the graph store makes sense
> in most cases and is intuitive.

I agree a common usage pattern will be that the updatable graph store
and the queriable datasets are the same but there are a lot of
possibilities here and I don't think we should constrain them by
coupling the dataset and graph store too much.  If we need to relate
them, isn't it better to do that in service description?  Although an
app has a somewhat different relationship to updatable data than data it
only reads. (Do you search the web for data to update?)

Example:
The query dataset might be larger than the update graph store - some
additional graphs might be derivable from updatable ones (e.g. the base
data for an inference-providing graph - change the base data and to a
subsequent query the other graph is different).

	Andy