Re: D-enatilment and canonicalization

> The SPARQL query really starts where the data is already loaded (FROM
> etc not withstanding) so the data as it is loaded may be prepared in
> some fashion outside the SPARQL spec.

But that's no longer true when we have update, is it?

My (woefully under-researched, I'm sorry) sense of SPARQL has always
been that it forces systems to keep a lot of datatype information that
they might not really want to keep.

For example, I thought SPARQL made me keep xs:strings distinct from RDF
plain literals (without language tags), even though the value spaces are
the same.  This is a huge implementation burden, which I'm trying to
sort through in RIF right now.

I would love to hear that SPARQL does NOT mind if I just store strings
internally, and somehow hide from users whether they came in as
xs:strings or as plain literals.  I expect the same applies even more
pointedly to "1"^^xs:int vs "1"xs:integer.  Clearly the same value, but
a different graph node.  IMHO SPARQL should make it clear that when you
put one in, you might get the other out.

     -- Sandro