Re: Prioritised list of open issues (query, my bits)

On 9 Feb 2010, at 11:27, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> On 09/02/2010 10:29 AM, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
>> Steve Harris wrote:

>>> In my view, DISTINCT does not change the function, it changes the
>>> (multi)set that the function is applied to, c.f.
>>> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/query-1.1/rq25.xml#aggregateAlgebra
>>>
>>> More concretely, you form a DISTINCT multiset of the bound values of
>>> ?x, then apply the count function to the resulting set.
>>
>> FWIW, this is exactly how Glitter treats the DISTINCT modifier for
>> both
>> built-in and custom aggregates. It modified the set of solutions
>> passed
>> to the aggregate function.
>
> The defn in the doc applies it to the values of expressions of the
> aggregate function (aside, so no seeing the expressions themselves,
> only the result of after evaluation).
>
> If we have, in one partition:
>
> (?x=1, ?y=2)
> (?x=1, ?y=3)
> (?x=2, ?y=3)
>
> which is a set of solutions.
>
> I'd expect
>  COUNT(DISTINCT ?x) ==> 2
>  COUNT(DISTINCT fn:floor((?x+1)/2)) ==> 1

Yes,

if   M = your solution multiset above.
     M' = M(fn:floor((?x+1)/2)))  { 1, 1, 1 }
    M'' = DISTINCT M'             { 1 }
result = Count(M'')              1

This is how aggregates are defined in SQL, and I can't think of any
pressing reason to depart from that.

> which is applying the DISTINCT after the implicit projection (case
> 1) and after expression evaluation (case 2).
>
> I thought Steve and I were mostly agreeing, except over whether one
> can name the DISTINCT and non-DISTINCT versions with URIs.

That's the essence I think. But maybe you're proposing something
different?

> And, maybe, the treatmeant of * - I prefer a treatment that passes
> solutions and expressions to the aggregate so * is not different.

I think the way it's expressed in SQL is quite neat. It means that
COUNT(*) is a special case, but that's not a huge problem in my opinion.

Steve Harris, Garlik Limited
2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44 20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/
9AD