Re: Review of "SPARQL 1.1 Update"

Thanks Andy for clarification, right, what I had in mind with ADD was indeed what we already have with INSERT DATA ...
was just puzzled by the "assymetry" of shortcuts without having really though it through.

So, trying to summarise, the options on the table are the following:

(DELETE {P1})?
(INSERT {P2})?
WHERE {P3}

where at least one of INSERT or DELETE part needs to be present, do I understand that correct as the common understanding of the long form?

Shortcut options

OPTION1:
 * DELETE {P} for DELETE P WHERE P, but enforcing separators ";" for avoidung ambiguity

OPTION2:
 * new keyword REMOVE, i.e. REMOVE {P} for "DELETE P WHERE {P}"

OPTION3:
 * Make  '{P1}' optional but require 'WHERE', i.e.
  DELETE WHERE {P1} for DELETE {P} WHERE {P}

Anything I forgot?

More remarks:

* some potential other issue for the next round:
 "INTERT DATA {P}" could in fact be viewed as a "shortcut" for "INSERT {P} WHERE {}", yes?
This raises the question whether DELETE DATA {P} isn't actually to be viewed as a restricted version of
the SHORTCUT we discuss above where P is ground, isn't it? That is, the question is whether DELETE DATA P
is the same as writing "DELETE WHERE {P}".

If course this very much depends on how the semantics of DELETE DATA is to be defined, i.e. is DELETE DATA
also successful, if only a part of it matches?

Assume: the default graph (store) has only ont triple  t1 and I call:
  DELETE {t1 t2}
Also here  there are two options for dealing with this situation:
 i) the DELETE succeeds and deletes the 1st triple, or succeeds with a warning (this behavior would indeed be different from DELETE WHERE {P} )
 ii) the DELETE fails (however, actually this behavior would make DELETE DATA
     redundant wrt. the DELETE P WHERE P shortcut, however it looks)

So, if i) was intended, at least I haven't yet seen this aspect discussed/mentioned in the current draft,
(hope I haven't overlooked this having been discusssed already again...looking at the current Web version update).

* Whatever way we choose, we have other open issues on what such request should return, but this is then more an issue for protocol,
e.g. the number of added/deleted triples could be informative.

Axel