Re: [TF-ENT] Review of the Entailment regime document, 2009-12

2010/1/6 Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>:
> Birte,
>
> First of all, thanks, you have indeed covered all my comments.

Great!

> However... (I know, I am a pain in the neck), re-reading the text, I
> have the following (minor) additional comments. My apologies if it was
> already present in the previous version and I missed it... That being
> said: _none of these are critical_. In other words, I am happy to
> publish the document as is in this round, and possibly address these
> comments in the next release only. This is especially true for entry #1
> below.

I am quite happy about such feedback. It really helps to make the
document better!
See http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/entailment/xmlspec.xml for the
improved version and my comments below:

> 1- Section 6.2: if one goes outside the OWL DL circles then the
> Functional Syntax for axioms is not really known and well readable. (I
> must confess that I also 'see' OWL statements in Turtle and not in FS.)

I must confess that I am a total FSS person. For OWL Direct Semantics
I think using both consistently is good because Direct Semantics is so
closely related to FSS and the semantics is defined in terms of OWL
objects that directly correspond to the FSS. Turtle/triples is
absolutely SPARQL, so it also has to be there. I tried to consistently
give examples in both syntaxes and I went once again over the section
to find the places where I wasn't consistent.

> I wonder whether we should not consider the approach we took in the OWL
> documents, where the examples were all available in various syntaxes and
> people could choose which one they would use. It is a little bit of
> extra work, but we have got extremely positive feedbacks on this, it was
> worth the trouble. For this document I think having the examples in FS
> and in Turtle would be enough (the OWL documents also had M'ter syntax
> and RDF/XML).

That's used in the Primer as far as I can tell. The structural spec
and the direct semantics uses FSS throughout. I like the way it is
done in the primer though. For a later publication, I'll consider such
buttons to choose the example syntax.

> Again: this is _not_ for this release, the publication can and should
> happen without it!

Good ;-)

> 2- Section 6.1.1: "These restrictions require that blank nodes are only
> connected in a tree-like way": a short example of what this means would
> be helpful (or a reference of such example). Lambda RDF users may not
> really understand what you mean here...

I added a link to the relevant section in the OWL spec now, which
includes an example.

> 3- Section 6.1.3 and elsewhere: we should try to make the Turtle/SPARQL
> mapping more readable, and really making use of its syntactic
> possibilities. Eg, the first example could be written as

That's all due to my limited Turtle skills ;-) I went through the
document now and tried to improve to the best of my knowledge. I
mainly write and think in FSS and then I go to the OWL mapping to RDF
spec and use that to get to the Turtle ;-) That's not nice Turtle as
you can tell. You examples below really helped too!

> ex:Peter a [
>    a owl:Restriction ;
>    owl:onProperty ex:hasSon ;
>    owl:maxCardinality "1"^^xsd:nonNegativeInteger .
>  ] .
>
> the second could be
>
> ex:Peter a [
>     a owl:Class ;
>     owl:complementOf [
>       a owl:Restriction ;
>       owl:onProperty ex:hasSon ;
>       owl:minCardinality ?n .
>     ]
>  ]

both done.

> Which I do fine more readable. This is even more visible for the example
> in 6.1.5. The axiom in Turtle could be:
>
> ex:Peter a [
>    a owl:Restriction ;
>    owl:onProperty ex:dp ;
>    owl:qualifiedCardinality "2"^^xsd:nonNegativeInteger .
>    owl:onDataRange [
>      a rdfs:Datatype ;
>      owl:onDatatype xsd:int ;
>      owl:withRestrictions (
>        [ xsd:minExclusive "5"^^xsd:int ]
>        [ xsd:maxExclusive "8"^^xsd:int ]
>      )
>    ]
> ]

Much better. I didn't even know that you can use the round brackets
and write the facet list like that.

> Let us not make the RDF version more cryptic than necessary!

Thanks a lot!
Birte

--
Dr. Birte Glimm, Room 306