Re: Potential design space of LET/assignment

Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 11/11/2009 13:46, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
>> It would definitely help me in trying to figure out the cost of adopting
>> this work; it seems particularly relevant to me whether the existing
>> implementations that we think all implement assignment are actually
>> implementing the same thing or not, to know whether we're talking about
>> an obvious syntactic rewrite or whether the potential design space is
>> larger (and therefore more fraught).
>>
>> Also, the commenters are using ARQ and have mentioned that the rewrite
>> interpretation comes from you, I believe, so it would probably be best
>> for you to provide it. :-)
>
> TopQuandrant are using ARQ (and other RDF systems) but their
> requirements and experiences are theirs alone and I can't answer for
> them.  They have asked me (on jena-dev) the WG status and I directed
> them to the comments list.

They've pretty explicitly stated that their requirements are
standardization of the feature that they use, which is ARQ's assignment
implementation.

> I had not seen Jeremy's rewrite description before; within this WG, and
> to them probably, usually on jena-dev, I have talked about it being a
> syntactic transformation for some time now.  By that, I mean it gets
> done in the algebra translation step and there is no modification to the
> algebra to accomodate it.

Well, I still don't understand it, in any case, which makes me wary of
suggesting that it's a simple thing for us to standardize.

> The term "sophisitic" (sic) has been used.   There is no trickery going on.

? Don't understand.

>>> It would also be helpful if you describe what OpenAnzo does. (ditto
>>> other impls). I hope that Steve will provide the concrete example of
>>> what he thinks Holger is asking for and any examples that concern him.
>>
>> Open Anzo attaches LETs at the group level (a la FILTERs) and applies
>> them to the solution set that results from evaluating the group. It
>> applies them in the lexical order that they're found. It (conceptually)
>> evaluates each assignment to get a new one row, one column solution set,
>> and joins that solution set with the the group's solution set. Rinse and
>> repeat for the rest of the assignments attached to the group.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Because it's a conceptual join, per row, you allow solutions where the
> same value is already bound to the named variable?

Right.

> (PS But what happens about errors in evaluation?)

If the expr evaluates to a type error, I intended to have that discard a
solution if the variable were already bound, and act as a no-op
otherwise. But re-looking now I have a few bugs in the handling there.

>>> Yes - "Extend" is the thing that does the AS part.
>>>
>>> The message 2009OctDec/0270.html tries to explain that - if anything
>>> is not clear, then ask away on that thread.
>>>
>>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2009OctDec/0270.html
>>
>> The explanation in that message doesn't really get at the details of the
>> 3-argument algebraic forms in the document, which is what I'm most
>> interested in. The def'n there says:
>>
>> extend(μ, var, term) = { (x,t) | x in dom(μ) and t = μ(v) or x = var and
>> t = term }
>>
>> First, I assume mu(v) should be mu(x)?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Second, I don't understand how
>> this definition treats the case in which mu already binds var to a value
>> different from term. Best I can read is that you end up with solution
>> that has 2 bindings for x, but I'd be surprised if that's the intention,
>> so I imagine I'm reading it wrong?
>
> A solution mapping is a function so there can only be one x binding.
>
> (x,t) for x in dom(μ) and t != μ(v) is not in the set.
>
> Better would be:
>
> { (x,t) |
>   (x in dom(μ) and t = μ(x)) or (x not in dom(μ) and t = term)
> }

So this says that the LET assignment is ignored completely if the
variable is already bound. That's different from what I do. Am I
understanding this correctly?

Lee