Re: Re 2: [TF-ENT] Querying datasets with default plus named graphs

On 13 Oct 2009, at 08:50, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> [...]

hmmm, I agree that  "(limited usefulness of named graphs)" is judging,
indeed.
but we should note the issue (in a more neutral wording maybe), yes?

> It was not an objective of the TF to make datasets work with
> entailment (for some definition of "work" that has not been
> articulated).

we had already discussed CompositeDatasets (http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Feature:CompositeDatasets
)
which were not among the favorite/chosen features.

>  Note: I want the mixed entailment case to work because that is
> deployed practice.
>  Let's note that BGP RDFS-entailment currently requires all the
> triples in the graph (it's most obvious given the informative RDFS
> Entailment Rules in RDF-MT anyway).  It would be something else (and
> useful) to have entailment work with a background vocabulary.  The
> rules entailment regime will give us that, maybe others, so I don't
> see there is a problem.

yup, it is complementary.

> A graph in a dataset can be the union of other graphs in the dataset
> so having one graph as the union of vocabulary and data is already
> possible and done in practice but it's just not the only way that
> things can be setup.

that's what I tried to illustrate with the "implicit closure" approach
mentioned in the last mail, yes.
which approach did you mean here with "possible and done in practice"?
that one?

best,
Axel