Re: REST and HTTP Update

On 7 Oct 2009, at 21:48, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> On Wednesday 7. October 2009 21:26:11 Steve Harris wrote:
>> However, among the other people using our store, I don't know of
>> anyone using the obvious REST approach. For whatever reason* people
>> seem to prefer the urlencode form. The half dozen or so 3rd party
>> libraries all seem to use the urlencode form.
>
> OK, weight should be given to such experiences, but the pure REST is
> like
> you say obvious and could be done without further discussion...

Agreed.

>> It's not just parsing RDF/XML into Turtle, you have to parse it into
>> SPARQL/Update syntax, extra {}s, PREFIX not @prefix, different qname
>> rules(?), so it's really another syntax form.
>
> Hmpf, ok, ok, use N-Triples, then! ;-) I would also presume that
> tools to
> build SPARQL queries programmatically would surface quite soon, and
> they
> should make it easy to say "put these triples in a SPARQL INSERT",
> but you
> have a point. :-)

It still seems a bit strange to have the client parse RDF/XML into
ntriples (which has no official W3C status), pack it in some UTF-8
wrapper, and send it over to an endpoint that was capable of parsing
the RDF/XML you had at the start.

Steve Harris
Garlik Limited, 2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44(0)20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/
9AD