Re: service description vocabulary

On Sep 24, 2009, at 11:47 PM, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:

> Gregory Williams wrote:
>
>> The lack of naming symmetry between sd:defaultGraph (for default
>> graphs) and sd:graphDescription (for named graphs) could probably
>> be made better (maybe sd:defaultGraphDescription?), but this
>> modeling allows each graph in the dataset to be described as well
>> as things to be said about the entire dataset.
>
> I'm not sure this makes sense - the RDF dataset (default graph +
> named graphs) is an artifact of a specific query, not of the
> endpoint itself. An endpoint isn't required to have any notion of a
> default graph--I know that mine, at least don't. (We've got a quad
> store from which graphs can be plucked and either merged into a
> default graph for a query or included as individual named graphs for
> a query.)

Isn't the dataset an artifact of a specific query only if the query
(or protocol request) specifies a dataset? It may not be useful for
your implementation, but how would you provide a dataset description
for an endpoint that does provides a default dataset without a
construct like I suggest?

>> Additionally, I was hoping to get feedback on whether people think
>> the vocab should distinguish between language extensions and
>> supported features? Is this a meaningful distinction? For example,
>> an extension that modifies the SPARQL syntax (e.g. to support the
>> BINDINGS keyword) versus a feature describing the algorithm used to
>> generate DESCRIBE results. The former clearly extends SPARQL, but
>> the latter works within the existing constraints of SPARQL. Thoughts?
>
> I don't think we need to differentiate - I tend to think a single
> mechanism for supported features combined with URIs for standard
> features is sufficient, and will give the community sufficient room
> to define URIs and extra parameters for extension features... But I
> haven't thought it through too well.

OK. That's my inclination as well, but thought it was worthwhile to at
least bring it up.

.greg