Re: IBM Graph Update Protocol document

On 14 Jul 2009, at 13:08, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> The largest issue is whether it should be possible to manipulate
> graphs that has a graph-URI which is not dereferenceable on the host
> of the SPARQL endpoint, i.e. if the endpoint is http://example.org/sparql
>  should it be possible to manipulate a graph with the URI http://graphs.example.com/graph/dahut
>  ?
> As far as I can see from your proposal, it would be possible to
> insert such a graph by using the Graph header, but no further
> manipulation would be possible. Is that correct?

I also feel that it would be a great benefit, but time permitting is OK.

I'm not going to defend our particular trick for dealing with it, but
another option is the WebDAV Destination: header
http://www.webdav.org/specs/rfc2518.html#HEADER_Destination
> This issue seems to be where Simon Schenk and I went in
> diametrically different directions; I feel that manipulating those
> graphs should be time-permitting only, whereas Simon felt we should
> do only that and that the case where the graph-uri can be
> manipulated directly is not very interesting. I suppose he is on
> vacation and cannot correct me if I misrepresent his opinions, if I
> do it is unintentional.
>
> The other issue you bring to the table, which is new I believe, is
> the PATCH HTTP verb. This never made it into HTTP, did it? I think
> the ideas that have circulated around here is that PUT will insert a
> graph if it doesn't exist and replace if it does. POST will insert
> if the graph doesn't exist, and update if it does.

That is what Garlik do, and I can now point you to some actual code
and documentation for that feature :)
http://4store.org/trac/wiki/SparqlServer#AddingandRemovingData

Steve Harris
Garlik Limited, 2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44(0)20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/
9AD