Re: More on MINUS vs. UNSAID

Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

>> OK, with this spelled out, I wanted to look at Eric's treatment in
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2009JulSep/0022.html.
>>   In particular, looking at this example in Eric's mail:
>>
>> """
>> Query M3:
>> ?who foaf:givenname ?name
>> MINUS {
>>   ?who foaf:holdsAccount ?act
>>   OPTIONAL {
>>     ?act foaf:accountName ?name .
>>   }
>> }
>> Result M3:
>> ?who   ?name    ?who   ?act   ?name    ?who   ?name
>> _:eric "eric"   _:eric <act1> "eric"   _:bobS "bob"
>> _:bobS "bob"  - _:bobS <act2> "bobS" = _:eve  "eve"
>> _:eve  "eve"    _:eve  <act3>
>> """
>>
>> The only way that I can see that (?who=_:eve, ?name="eve") is retained
>> in the result of the MINUS is if Eric is using the "looser" form of the
>> MINUS-set definition that I give above. Eric, can you confirm this is
>> the case? The two MINUS-AntiJoin* definitions would, I think, eliminate
>> that solution because (?who=_:eve, ?name="eve") is compatible with
>> (?who=_:eve, ?act=<act3>).
>
> I think you've made a leap from "AND share at least one bound
> variable" to "have any variables in common". As I understand both

I don't understand the difference between these two phrasings :)

> MINUS-AntiJoin and MINUS-AntiJoin+Restriction, both restrict A if
> there is a tuple in B with the same values for all the bindings.
> Thus, a distinguishing test case for these would be:
>
> ?who foaf:givenname ?name
> MINUS {
>   ?who2 foaf:holdsAccount ?act
>   OPTIONAL {
>     ?act foaf:accountName ?name2 .
>   }
> }

That's definitely a test case. Since it doesn't make any rational sense
to me, though, I have no real basis from which to draw a preference...

One possible idea is to syntactically prohibit A MINUS B where A and B
share no variables in common :-)

Lee