Re: Parameterized Inference - starting mail discussion

On 4/14/09 7:12 AM, "Bijan Parsia" <bparsia@cs.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 14 Apr 2009, at 09:13, Axel Polleres wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I didn't manage to separate the issues on the wiki
>> yet, but I suggest, in connection with parameterized inference to
>> put the following four items to strawpoll, trying to summarize
>> Bijan's/Andy's suggestions:
>>
>> - ADVERTISE ENTAILMENT: should we work on a mechanism to specify the
>> entailment regime supported by an engine (endpoint side
>> parameterized inference, i.e. the endpoint be able to specify what
>> entailment it supports)
>
> You mean "machine readably advertise" right? Unlike the current sitch.

+1 to machine readability of supported ENTAILMENT

>> - REQUEST ENTAILMENT: should we work on a mechanism to request the
>> entailment regime in a query (query side side parameterized
>> inference, i.e. the requester be able to specify what entailment it
>> expects, Bijan seemed to have suggested that the engine may respond
>> falling back to another entailment regime,
> That's one design.

So, is this a switch that indicates whether the parameterized inference
included in the query behaves like content negotiation for additional
answers *or* a demand that the answers must be given in light of the
specified entailment regime?

>> My strawpoll vote would be +1 for all of these, although I could
>> imagine that e.g. SUPPORTED ENTAILMENT REGIMES could go into a note
>> rather than Rec track, if that is preferred.

> Well, we have support for OWL entailment. Once we have that it's just
> a matter of defining them. I don't think RDF through RIF should be
> that hard.
>
> I'm a little reluctant to use rule sets *as* entailment regimes..I'd
> rather encourage people to support a "sensible dialect".

You don't consider a RIF-RDF combination to be a sensible dialect? It
provides an entailment relation, a notion of well-formedness, satisfaction,
and the possibility of guaranteeing finite additional answers; all of which
contribute to defining an entailment regime.  Did you mean rule sets
expressed in dialects other than RIF?

-- Chimezie

in America by U.S. News & World Report (2008).
locations.