Re: GRAPH details and test cases

On 22 Aug 2006, at 18:36, Kendall Clark wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2006, at 6:05 AM, Steve Harris wrote:
>
>> I only just noticed that WHERE is optional in the grammar. For the
>> record I suspect this is not a good idea, and we shouldn't do it
>> in testcases.
>
> Steve, can you say more about this?

I prefer it if the tests are canonical, and making the keyword
optional seems like it might make possible future expansions in that
area harder, though I haven't given that much thought to it.

Imagine we added a keyword DELETE:

DELETE { GRAPH ?g { ?x rdf:type :bar } } WHERE { GRAPH ?g { ?x
rdf:type :foo . ?x rdf:type :bar } }

Then being able to omit the WHERE makes the query hard to understand,
and making it optional only in SELECT clauses before it is wierd, IMHO:

DELETE { GRAPH ?g { ?x rdf:type :bar } } { GRAPH ?g { ?x
rdf:type :foo . ?x rdf:type :bar } }