Re: my action item

How about a scheme like this for comparison of literals:

1/ Be explicit about value spaces; the design is comparison by-value.

All operators return true if the implementation positively knows that the two
values compare as needed, return false if the implementation positively knows
that the two value do not compare as needed and returns error if it does not know.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#value-space

2/ Define sop:value-compare(A, B) to be -1, 0 , 1 or error depending on
whether A and B are less than, equal, greater than, or it's an unknown comparison.

Note that sop:value-compare can be partial.  A processors always knows A = B
without much else if the lexical forms and datatypes match.

3/ Define =, !=, <, <= , > , >= to be the relevant result(s) of value-compare

4/ State which datatypes that are required for a SPARQL engine (this could
even be less than the current set; xsd:int but not arbitrary length integers;
  no decimals, or no dateTime which are a bit larger in implementation costs).

5/ Show that value-compare maps to the "XPath Tests" table for the operators
where an implementation provides them.

6/ = and != can be defined on non-literals be RDFterm-equals as currently.

In terms of text change and test change and implementation impact, this is
actually quite a small change because it exactly agrees on the fixed set of
datatypes we already have.  It just permits extensibility through the
principle is value testing.

An implementation can provide more datatypes as it chooses, meeting the
"Extensible Value Testing".  It is explicitly monotonic in the capabilities of
the processor.  But now legacy or other standards for datatypes can be added
smoothly (e.g. ISO 8601 date and time which is not exactly the same as XSD
dateTime).

	Andy