Re: Comments on Feb 20 Working Draft of SPARQL

Andy, I've addressed the bottom of this. The comments on the top part
are not simple typos so I'm leaving them in your hands. When it's
ready, "uncomment" the thank you at the bottom and send it on it's way?

To: Reto Krummenacher <reto.krummenacher@deri.org>
Cc: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 05:40:55PM +0100, Reto Krummenacher wrote:

> Dear editors,
>
> I have another set of minor comments on the SPARQL Query Language for RDF
> working draft. Most of them are solely of editorial matter:
>
> * first paragraph section 2: Combining tripleS gives a basic graph...
>
> * I would suggest to exchange 2.1.7 and 2.1.6. In my opinion the query syntax is
> based on the data format used and not vice versa.
>
> * 2.9 should probably start with "RDF defines A reification vocabulary..."
>
> * 5.4 should probably say "...; or it passes all solutions without adding any
> additional bindings." The 'any solutions' seems wrong to me.
>
> * Still 5.4 end: should OPTIONAL not be capitalized in the syntactic form example.
>
> * 5.5 the second sentence of paragraph one is very confusing to read. Doesnt it
> say exactly the same as the next sentence: "The outer optional graph
> pattern..."? Could it may be make sense to mention that this basically means
> that all varialbes in the outer graph patterns have to be bounded, doesnt it?
>
> * End 5.5: the conclusion of the example is that the optional part is only
> reached if there is a vcard:N predicate. Shouldnt it not also include a matching
> vcard:Given predicate, as it ?vc vcard:Given ?gname is also part of the outer
> graph pattern?
> Small wording question: "the query only reaches these..." should IMHO be
> "...reaches this...", as it refers to the optional graph pattern.
>
> * Could it make sense to mention in 10.1.1 that projection is basically the
> sequence modifier applied in all SELECT queries presented so far in the
> document. Projection is basically the default modifier of SELECT, isnt it?
>
> * In 10.4.3 first sentence you mention that the output of DESCRIBE is determined
> by the information publisher. Who or what is the information provider? Is it the
> query service that provides the information to a user or rather the entity that
> actually published the information. If I publish my foaf file and it is accessed
> over a SPARQL interface I would expect that I am the publisher, however in my
> opinion it is not clear how I could influence the DESCRIBE output besides using
> the same blank node as subject of related statements (cf. CBD)
>
> * In 11: is there a reason why xsd:dateTime is in another font than the other
> datatypes?

No. This has been fixed. Thank you.

> * In the listing of 11.2 there is twice a redundant "will return" for logical or
> and logical and

Also fixed.

> * in 11.3 for example XPath is written as xpath.

Also fixed.

>                                                  i also observed that sometimes
> cannot is written in two words.

Both are, I believe, acceptable, but I have changed
[[
complete structures can not be assumed in all RDF graphs
]]
[[
complete structures cannot be assumed in all RDF graphs
]]

> Thank you very much for reading, I hope it helps a bit to finalize the working
> draft.

# Indeed it does. Thank you kindly for your assistance.

# Please respond indicating whether you are or are not satisfied with
# this response. If you are, you can help our issue tracking system by
# prefixing the subject of your response with [CLOSED] (where this
# subject has [OK?]).
--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520