Re: Final text for Basic Graph Patterns

On Jan 19, 2006, at 1:00 PM, Enrico Franconi wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2006, at 18:33, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> Of course. You miss my point. I was simply following the general
>> pattern of how SPARQL queries are defined, using our most recent
>> attempt at an 'entailment-based' general form of definition, and
>> applying that to OWL-DL as described in the OWL spec, and seeing what
>> we finish up with. ( {:a rdf:type :b} is legal OWL-DL, under
>> appropriate constraints, and is an instance of the query under
>> binding of a variable to a legal OWL-DL identifier, so... ) I meant
>> only that if one takes a 'natural' extension of SPARQL to OWL,
>> keeping the basic form of the definitions but replacing simple
>> entailment by OWL-DL entailment, then examples like this turn up.
>
> What I am also saying that you have to transport the syntactic
> constraints that OWL-DL expressions have, to similar syntactic
> constraints to SPARQL queries when using OWL-DL entailment. Namely, in
> queries bnodes and variables are not in property position of any
> triple, nor in object position of rdf:type triples, and there is no
> rdf, rdfs, owl vocabulary symbol in the query with the exception of
> rdf:type in property position.
[snip]

For the record, I always presumed that for OWL  DL Entailment, you'd
work with the abstract syntax, as that's how entailment is defined:
	http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/direct.html#3.4

So, if I were going to write the spec for SPARQL parameterized  with
OWL DL entailment, I would first define the abstract syntax of the
basic query in terms of the abstract syntax (which would only allow
query variables in certain places), then a transformation to triples of
that abstract syntax.

So I don't think it's that big of a stretch, actually. You *could*
define a query syntax with variables in funky places, but it's not
immediate. And it's not immediate from the SPARQL (it's not *far*,
cause you can sorta see where some variables "would go" if you tried to
apply the reverse transformation to triples to sparql GPs).

Cheers,
Bijan.