Re: HTTP Status Codes for QueryRequestRefused

On Jan 6, 2006, at 3:41 PM, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> So if a server sends back 403, it isn't a success.  It isn't
> MalformedQuery or QueryRequestRefused either so it isn't part of
> the SPARQL interface.  My implementation experience is that status
> codes other than 200, 400 and 500 arise when using common
> deployment platforms.  My proposal is to (for HTTP) state
> explicitly that other status codes can be used in a SPARQL interface.

Quoting from the CR version of WSDL 2.0 Part 1: Core Language:

Faults other than the ones described in the Interface component may
also be generated at run-time, i.e. faults are an open set. The
Interface component describes faults that have application level
semantics, i.e. that the client or service is expected to handle, and
potentially recover from, as part of the application processing
logic. For example, an Interface component that accepts a credit card
number may describe faults that indicate the credit card number is
invalid, has been reported stolen, or has expired. The Interface
component does not describe general system faults such as network
failures, out of memory conditions, out of disk space conditions,
invalid message formats, etc., although these faults may be generated
as part of the message exchange. Such general system faults can
reasonably be expected to occur in any message exchange and
explicitly describing them in an Interface component is therefore
uninformative.

Cheers,
Kendall