RE: Namespace of builtin functions

Hi Andy et al. Contrary to popular rumour (or opinion), I am alive. :-)

Just to point out two pieces of text from the F&O doc [1] that are relevant
but (to me at any rate) confusing:

"The namespace prefix used in this document for functions that are available
to users is fn. Operator functions are named with the prefix op."

and shortly thereafter:

"The functions defined with an fn prefix are callable by the user. Functions
defined with the op prefix are described here to underpin the definitions of
the operators in [XML Path Language (XPath) 2.0], [XQuery 1.0: An XML Query
Language] and [XSL Transformations (XSLT) Version 2.0]. These functions are
not available directly to users, and there is no requirement that
implementations should actually provide these functions. For this reason, no
namespace is associated with the op prefix."

In other words, there is an op: prefix but no namespace for it. I'm not sure
what to make of this.

Howard

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xpath-functions-20050915/#namespace-prefixes