Re: Namespace of builtin functions

Steve Harris wrote:
> Is it correct that there's no equivalent URI for the qname looking
> XPath functions, such as http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#func-
> dateTime-less-than ?

A couple of problems:

1/ It's "op:dateTime-less-than" and op: isn't given a namespace URI.

2/ F&O states:

"""
The URIs of the namespaces and the default prefixes associated with them are:
     * http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema for constructors -- associated with xs.
     * http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functions for functions -- associated with fn.
     * http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-datatypes for the datatypes -- associated
with xdt.
     * http://www.w3.org/2005/xqt-errors -- associated with err.
"""

so that makes fn:compare:

http://www.w3.org/2005/xpath-functionscompare

Ugh.

The forms
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#func-dateTime-less-than
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#func-compare

come from links into the F&O document.  We could decide to use those as the
URIs for the functions (no unique name assumption!) if that is
http-range14-good.  Is that common practice?

> It would sometimes be useful to call these explcitly, eg. sparql has
> no built in equivalent to fn:compare().

I agree - I'd like to see a namespace and URIs for all the SPARQL functions.
I've just come across a situation where I'd like to treat everything uniformly
as a function call of some kind.

> - Steve

	Andy