Re: Feedback for SparQL at workshop "Semantic Web and Databases" associated with IEEE ICDE 2006

Sven Groppe wrote:

> I was last week on the IEEE ICDE conference.
>
> Cristian P´erez de Laborda gave
> some feedback of SparQL at the
> "Semantic Web and Databases" workshop
> associated with IEEE ICDE 2006
> while presenting his paper
>
> “Bringing Relational Data into the Semantic Web using SPARQL and
> Relational.OWL”. Among other things,
> he presented how to translate SparQL
> into SQL.

Presentation:
http://lsdis.cs.uga.edu/swdb06/program/2006-04-08__PeCo_SWDB2006.pdf

Puts {} round every triple pattern.

rdfs:seeAlso <http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2005/HPL-2005-170.html>

> He is of the opinion that following items are currently missing
> in SparQL, but would be nice to have:
> -          nested queries
> -          grouping data
> -          update functionality
> -          string manipulation

Were there thing that can't be done with extension functions?  I've added a
few to ARQ (at Lee's and Elias's request).

> Sven.

Thanks for reporting the feedback.  All those would be nice if we had the time
so it is useful input into any future work.