Re: putting entailment into SPARQL

>On 13 Dec 2005, at 23:27, Pat Hayes wrote:
>
>>Pattern Solution.
>>A variable substitution is a substitution function on a subset of V
>>to RDF-T. A pattern solution on the pattern V to the dataset G is a
>>variable substitution whose domain includes all the variables in V,
>>whose range is a subset of the set of RDF terms occurring in G, and
>>which matches the dataset DS.
>
>Pat, by restricting the domain in this way you rule out RDF(S)
>entailment, since there are terms which should be in any RDF(S)
>graph, even if not explicitly mentioned (e.g. rdf:type or
>rdf:Property).

We  should discuss this. I intended to restrict in this way for all
entailments. That is, I do not think that tautological queries should
succeed against an empty graph, even when they are entailed. The
point of querying is not primarily to test entailment, but to find
out what is in the actual graph.

>My understanding is that this restriction should be enforced for bnodes only.

IMO that would be too narrow. But if you think the global restriction
is too tight, can you show some examples?

Pat

>--sergio

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell