Re: rq23 conformance section

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 12:49:54PM -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 11:39 -0500, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> > [[
> > The grammar in appendix A defines the syntax of SPARQL Queries.
>
> SPARQL Query strings, no?
>
> (broken link to "grammar", btw")
>
> >  Apart
> > from extension functions, the semantics of all SPARQL Queries are
> > defined within this document. A query is successful if it has been
> > processed in accordance with the semantics defined in this
> > specification and the semantics specified for any invoked extension
> > functions.
>
> I don't see why introduce a notion of "successful"; it's clearly
> not a property of queries. The same query might be "successful"
> in one case and not in another.

This definition of query sounds more like a query string. SPARQL
queries have semantics and results. Success/failure seems implicit
in that.

If someone writes a SPARQL Query over SMTP protocol, they MUST
create tell the requestor if the query succeeded. SPARQL Protocol
uses the SPARQL Query Results Format but I don't expect all APIs
and protocols will. I think success/failure is a reasonable low
bar for conformance.

> I think this should do:
>

>   B. Conformance
>
>   See appendix A grammar regarding conformance of _SPARQL
>   Query strings_, and section 10 Query Result Forms for
>   conformance of query results. See appendix E. Internet Media Type
>   for conformance to the application/sparql-query media type.
>
>   This specification is intended for use in conjuction with
>   the SPARQL Protocol[SPROT] and the
>   SPARQL Query Results XML Format[RESULTS]. See those specifications
>   for their conformance criteria.

I'd much prefer that this conformance section be relevent to folks
developing APIs (which I expect to be numerous) and protocols (which
will probably be less numerous).

--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520