Re: XSD decimal syntax

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 15:31 +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

>  > 7. Section 3.  Decimal values cannot be written as literals.  This
>  > seems like a needless limitation.  Suggest SPARQL use the literal
>  > definitions in XPath 2.0.
>
> In XPath 2.0,
>
>    3.4 is a decimal
>    3.4e0 is a double (doubles must have an exponent)
>
> xsd:decimal is now one of the required supported types in rq23.
>
> In the RDF world N3/Trutle/cwm and programming languages would make 3.4 a
> double; Sesame makes it a decimal.  I'm not sure where tht leaves expectations.
>
> We could go either way.

FYI, some community discussion sprung out in #swig. Inconclusive,
but interesting.

should 3.4 be a double or a decimal in SPARQL?
posted by DanC at 2005-10-14 15:34 (+) tags:
http://swig.xmlhack.com/2005/10/14/2005-10-14.html#1129304057.498099
DanC: afs to DAWG, following up on Comments on SPARQL from the XML Query
and the XSL WGs
DanC: it's a double in turtle, N3, and SPARQL-last-call, but since it's
a decimal in XPath 2, they're asking us to switch
dajobe: my preference is that as xsd:doubles are more commonly used
(typed) and should be the default. nobody wants to do 3.4e0 lots.
bignums are rare in data
timbl: In favour of decimal: That the coersion from decimal to float is
safe, unlike the other way. That it is a pain when typically currency
values are calculated as floats and end up as long approximate float
values.
timbl:  Decimal support in python
AndyS: Details of XSD decimal
logger: See discussion
DanC:  asking ashok about the change from XPath 1 to XPath 2

http://chatlogs.planetrdf.com/swig/2005-10-14#T15-22-30

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E