Re: ACTION: ericP to add "don't normalize" to rq23 -- DONE?

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 05:22 -0400, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 06:03:46PM -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
[...]
> talks only about a base in terms of it's instantiation with the BASE
> keyword. Would you prefer I invent another term like BaseIRI and say
> it is set with BASE or some undefined means? This would move the "is
> not defined" to the upper paragraph:
> [[
> SPARQL provides an abbreviation mechanism for IRIs. Prefixes can be
> defined and a QName-like syntax [NAMESPACE] provides shorter
> forms. Prefixes may be used anywhere after they are declared;
> redefining a prefix causes the new definition to be used from that
> point in the query syntax. The base IRI for the resolution of relative
> IRIs may be explicitly declared with the BASE keyword. This
> specification does not define the value of the base IRI for SPARQL
> queries with no BASE directive.
>
> QNames are transformed into IRIs by appending the local name to the
> namespace name. Relative IRIs are combined with base IRIs as per
> Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax [RFC3986] using only
> the basic algorithm in Section 5.2 . Neither Syntax-Based
> Normalization nor Scheme-Based Normalization (described in sections
> 6.2.2 and 6.2.3 of RFC3986) is performed.
> ]]
>
> Andy, tx for putting the BASE directive earliest in the grammar --
> avoided tricky words around lexically earlier PREFIX decls.
>
> DanC, everybody, are you happy wiht this text?

Well, almost, except that RFC3986 doesn't have an algorithm
for IRIs. Hmm... meanwhile,
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3987.txt says

   Processing of relative IRI references against a base is handled
   straightforwardly; the algorithms of [RFC3986] can be applied
   directly, treating the characters additionally allowed in IRI
   references in the same way that unreserved characters are in URI