Re: [Fwd: SPARQL: QuotedIRIref too lax]

Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 13:38 +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
>
>>Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>> > Dear RDF Data Access Working Group,
>> >
>> >   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-rdf-sparql-query-20050721/ section 10.1
>> > notes "IRIs are ordered by comparing the character strings making up
>> > each IRI" it's however not clear how character strings are compared,
>> > I would have expected that a `string < string` operator is defined, but
>> > section 11.1 only defines such an operator for numeric and dateTime
>> > types. Please change the draft such that ordering of IRIs is clear.
>> >
>> > regards,
>>

>>The current grammar does have a rather open production for QuotedIRIref
>>(anything except space and >).
>

> Right. I think that's what the grammar should say.

I suggest we remove control characters, space and both < and > from the grammar
rule:

QuotedIRIref
    ::= '<' ([^<>]-[#00-#20])* '>'  /* An IRI reference : RFC 3987 */

see
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml11-20040204/#sec-notation

The more complex versions discussed in

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2005JulSep/0187.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2005JulSep/0153.html

don't IMHO help much as the processor is going to carry out further checks anyway.

 Andy