RE: on "ORDER with IRIs" comment and user-selectable collation units

Sure, why not? That's exactly what the XQuery/Xpath F&O doc [1] states:

"The XQuery/XPath static context includes a provision for a default
collation that can be used for string comparisons and ordering operations.
See the description of the static context in Section 2.1.1 Static ContextXP.
If the default collation is not specified by the user or the system, the
default collation is the Unicode code point collation
(http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpath-functions/collation/codepoint)."

Howard

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#collations