Re: Updated SPARQL Query Results XML Format draft

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 02:59:45 +0100, Dave Beckett wrote:
>
>>However, I've also noticed a couple of items in Red Ink that still need
>>thinking about:
>>
>>1. How/if to record duplicates in results. (Section 2.3.3)
>>
>>When ORDER BY is given, the result format may record index="1",
>>index="2" on the <result> element.  (Side issue - "may" or "should" do
>>this?)
>

> I dont see the point to this really, but how does it interact with OFFSET?
> Shouldn't the count start from OFFSET + 1?

I suggest that the indexes in the result file do not relate to the rows prior to
limit/offset - they are there just to provide an ordering on the solutions.
Start at 1, and are sequential.

Ideally, the result set should be in the order 1,2,3,...

>>However when there are duplicates should it generate indexes 1, 2, 2, 3
>>where items #2 and #3 are duplicates?  (A query with ORDER BY but no
>>SELECT DISTINCT).
>

> Strong "no" from me. Any numbering should be monotonic.

+1
Whether the query processor has applied a total ordering or not should not be
reflected in the results (if it matters, use <link/>).