Re: Name of a graph? and FROM and FROM NAMED

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 05:47:32PM +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> The contract between requestor and publisher is either to use the data set
> described (inc protocol considerations) or to use the one the publisher
> advertises.  Not some hybrid or something completely different.

Says who? Seriously, I don't like that contract, and I can think of others I
like better. I don't see how we can decide such things by fiat. Merely
saying "this is the contract" doesn't make it so. There are different use
cases here, or so I've been trying to suggest.

Plus, according to yr rendering of "the contract", I can't do any inference
at all. None. Inference may well add triples to the dataset "described by
the requester".

> I am not suggesting all query services require FROM/FROM NAMED.

I understand that.

> Persoanlly, I expect many services to be about querying one dataset that
> the publisher provides and that queries have no FROM/FROM NAMED.

And I expect other services will be "run this query against some graphs I
list in FROM NAMED as well as against other triples the service provides".

Kendall Clark