Re: Name of a graph? and FROM and FROM NAMED

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:26:29PM +0100, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> > The example in 8.1 implies this. But isn't  that the URL where the subgraph
> > was taken from?
>
> For <http://> URLs , they should be read with GET (inc web caches etc).
>
> If a system does not want to do web fetching, it wouydl give an error when the
> query asked for fetching.
>
> Should rq23 explicitly say <http://> implies GET?
> Does any one have an example where it woudl nto be GETted in some way?

Yes, in the case that the service is itsself a cache, and the service has
chosen to identify graphs by thier resolved URIs, or where there is
application level knowledge that the service should not resolve the URI
for security or performance reasons.

eg. I have a service that includes a lot of data, including the
musicbrainz RDF data. It is identified by its web resolvable URI, if you
want to search only that with FROM the obvious way is to use FROM
<http://server/...>, but you dont want the service to re-fetch it (its
around 20M triples, generated live,  and changes 10+ times a day).