Re: protocol: updated (radically changed) draft

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 04:14:06PM +0000, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> >Because having something like the abstract protocol makes sense if
> >someone's going to do anything other than HTTP.
>
> Fine - but that is not the same to me as a "must have" abstract protocol
> (i.e. rec track, normative).  A "being informed by" document (a note?)
> could be fine.

I don't yet have any reason to drop it from either draft. Just FYI.

> There is more deployment experience with query than with update.  We have
> not undertaken a use case/requirements analysis for update so the balance
> is "remote (read) access" now or a long wait for something grander.  I'd
> prefer to split up the part that is better understood - as you will have
> gathered by now :-)

Yes, and I agree re: deployment experience; but this is all orthogonal
to non-HTTP protocols and the virtues of an abstract section. Or so it
really seems to me.

> >You've insisted that we drop getTriples, repeatedly. I don't,
> >therefore, see the point of debating its details...Am I missing something?
>
> Yes! - two things
>
> 1/ My comment is directed at the use of "g=" being different in different
> cases regardless of the agruement for or against getTriples.  I was noting
> that uses are different.

Okay.

> 2/ I am not insisting on dropping getTriples.  I'm proposing that it is
> handled for HTTP by "lang=getTriples" in the case of directing a request to
> a service processor and the fact that "GET /graph" is a plain HTTP.

I don't understand this *at all*. Maybe a phone call or something
would help. Maybe I'm just in a Fat American pre-Thanksgiving Brain
Haze... :>

> >I don't agree; and I had different guidance from our chair.
>
> I had to read it to see where it was the same and where, if anywhere, it
> was different or specialized.  Give me (the reader) a clue that I can skip
> it.

Sure.

> I have lots of details comments as well :-)

Oh, my heart thrills at the prospects! :>

Kendall