Re: UPDATED: Precis of Design Evaluations

Kendall thanks for collecting and reporting misc comments about
evaluations - see our short comments below about RDQL

On Jun 28, 2004, at 10:40 PM, Kendall Clark wrote:

> Design Evaluations
> ------------------
>
> -RDQL-
>
> Alberto Reggiori follows up with useful info re: the utility
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004AprJun/
> 0500.html
>
> -RDQL, the Asemantics Dialect-
>
> Evaluation by Alberto Reggiori, in response to Eric s eval of RDQL
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004AprJun/
> 0502.html

we would rather change the text above and drop the 'Asemantics Dialect'
phrasing and replacing it with a less stronger text like 'Asemantics
implementation experience' or use a more generic piece of text. It is
important to note that our work is based on RDQL, built on it and it is
compatible with the original specification - we explicitly avoided the
design of a new query language. And we rather tried to build (and
promote) a simple basic common denominator between different RDF
SQL-alike query languages in the past years. Many of the existing
RDQL/SquishQL implementations like Jena, Inkling, RubyRDF, RDFdb,
RDFStore, Sesame, PHP/RAP, 3Store, Rasqual and others have been a good
example of this.

We think that the result in different RDQL implementations and
extensions (such as the ones from Asemantics) has been simply due to an
evolution of RDF specifications themselves in the past years;  and the
growth (and maturity) of specific users requirements in RDF community,
mainly motivated by the design and implementation of the firsts
real-world RDF and Semantic Web systems.

In fact, most (if not all) our extensions/requirements has been
contemplated by the current UC&R document, especially as proposed in
the BRQL language draft recently - and we are in fact considering
having a try to express our extensions using BRQL instead of basic
RDQL. And what it is not contemplated in the current BRQL syntax can be
most probably be expressed using ad-hoc AND constraints or extension
functions.

Yours

Alberto