Re: Use Case: Searching for educational learning materials

On Jun 22, 2004, at 7:07 AM, Dave Beckett wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:01:43 -0400, Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 19, 2004, at 9:04 AM, Kendall Clark wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 11:28:38AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:

[snip]
>>> You could use the N3 syntax, seperating the literal from the datatype

>>> Hmm, that's an idea.
>>
>> I ran this by our FLA guy as one option from the start. This is
>> certainly how I would do it in SWI Prolog, at least for the common
>> case.
>
> (FLA guy?)

Fujitsu Labs of America. This is a requirement generated from their
Task Computing environment.

> I think this a bad idea since it requires looking inside a RDF concept

Literal?

> which as far as I am aware, is not usually indexed by the common
> RDF/OWL systems in that manner, although this does not preclude it.

Does it need to be, in the common case?

> Adding this requirement to a DAWG QL I think would make it less
> likely that this part would be implemented.

Ah. Hmm. Well, I won't argue this point further as it's not my prefered
syntactic solution and if I'm dealing with a heck of a lot of lang
filtering, I can beat on my vender to do the right sort of indexing
regardless of syntax (I think).

>> The other possibility was having a filter predicate for AND clauses
>> (e.g., langEq). The latter was prefered.
>
> This is what I would prefer, selecting the language aspect of an RDF
> literal
> after SELECTion.  This is what SeRQL does if I recall correctly, there
> is a language() predicate for the constraint section -

Ah, good, there is an existing predicate. We will be implementing this
in the next month or so.

> so it is already
> implementable, and implemented.  If some system did index on RDF
> literal language it clearly could use this to advantage here.

Yes. Ok. I think we agree.

>> [snip]
>>> I think Yoshio mentioned something back in the early days of the WG
>>> about being sensitive to i18n issues, which this feature request
>>> does. (If anyone needs to hear a use case, I can provide one related
>>> to task computing in multilingual environments.)
>>
>> Or portals, or even ontology browsers. Anything that makes significant
>> use of rdfs:label and wants to internationalize.
>
> I've built a few of those and it would haven been easy to look at the
> RDF literals
> returned and try to select those with an appropriate language (this is
> not a
> straight compare, but can  involve matches such as 'fr' with 'fr-ca')

Do you mean in application code? That is, of course, a possibility,
but, IMHO and to our customer, not a very attractive one.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.