Re: Serializing xsd:decimal, xsd:float, xsd:double

On 31/07/12 16:32, David Booth wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 15:52 +0100, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>>
>> On 31/07/12 15:05, David Booth wrote:
>>> Hi Andy,

>>> Should I understand this to mean that when a minimally conforming SPARQL
>>> server creates a value of type xsd:decimal, then at least 18 decimal
>>> digits of precision must be retained in *serializing* that value to
>>> lexical form?  I understand that the computations must be performed with
>>> at least 18 decimal digits of precision, but serialization is
>>> (potentially) a different matter.
>>
>> Serialization can't truncate - it must represent the value and there is
>> no flexibility in the serialization step of forming the literal.  If the
>> calculation says the value is X, then the serialization must represent X.
>>
>> The serialization represents the value. In some datatypes like
>> xsd:decimal, there are multiple ways to write the same value.  It's a
>> feature of the datatype, not RDF itself.  xsd:decimal does not record
>> precision with trailing zeros.
>
> If I've understood correctly, this means that a minimally conforming
> SPARQL server MUST retain at least 18 decimal digits of precision when
> an xsd:decimal is serialized into lexical form, though trailing zeros
> (after the decimal point) are optional.  Thus, the value 3 may be
> serialized as any of these
>
>    "3.0"^^xsd:decimal
>    "3.00000000000000000"^^xsd:decimal
>    "3.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000"^^xsd:decimal
>
> but the value of pi must NOT be serialized as
>
>    "3.14159"^^xsd:decimal
>
> because that serialization does not retain at least 18 digits of
> precision.

Let's avoid pi as that gets into what the constant is set to, which will
not be exactly pi.

Your example was:

0.049508196721311475409836

which has 16 significant places: 0495081967213115
(if rounded in the last place - I believe that ..114 would also be
right, if less right, as the two 16 digit closest numbers)

(XML schema 1.1)

so
   "0.0495081967"^^xsd:decimal
and
   "0.050"^^xsd:decimal
do not serialize that value as they represent distinctly different
values on the number line.